Make a complaint

The Students’ Union’s complaints procedure outlines how the Union will deal with any complaint received by a member or other person arising from their dealings with the Students’ Union (including its clubs, societies, publications and trading services).

Please be aware if the issue you wish to report does not involve a Student Union (or SU trading) member of staff, officer, volunteer, society, activity or event then it will not fall within the scope of our complaints procedure and we will not be able to investigate it in detail or take remedial action. Notwithstanding this, we would still be very happy to talk to you about your issue and offer confidential advice about how best to obtain help and take the matter forward.

How do I submit a complaint?

If you wish to make a SU-related complaint you can report this to any member of Union staff or full-time elected officer who can raise this formal complaint on your behalf. Alternatively, you can submit details of your complaint by sending an email to [email protected] or via our online complaints form.

Complaints form

What will happen once I have submitted a complaint?

1. Complaint received

When a complaint is received, this will be forwarded for the responsible people to be considered (this will usually be the officers of the Students’ Union and the Chief Executive): they will let you know that they have received your complaint and notify you how it is to be dealt with.

To follow up on this, send an email to [email protected] and we will get back to you.

2. Investigation

At this stage, the people involved will investigate and evaluate the complaint. This may include obtaining written or verbal evidence from you, any witnesses or another relevant person(s).

3. Outcomes

After they have done this, they will decide on the course of action to be taken. This could be:

  • Deciding that no action is proposed as a result of the complaint.
  • Deciding to take action or proposing that action should be taken as a result of the complaint.
  • Referring the complaint to more formal stages; which could include to a relevant full-time elected officer, staff member or Union Committee/Council.

In each case, they will provide you with a response outlining reasons for the decision that has been reached.

4. Right to appeal

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome of your complaint to the Union you will then have 14 days to request a review of the decision. You will be expected to provide a written response outlining reasons as to why you are not satisfied with the outcome.

Please note, an exception to this time limit may be authorised in the case of an exceptional circumstance such as illness or disability.

If you would like to follow up on your complaint, please send an email to [email protected] and we'll get back to you with a status update as soon as we can.